ASK FOR ANGELA

With the increasing popularity of online dating, Lincolnshire County Council launched the 'Ask for Angela' scheme. The scheme has now been rolled out in many other areas in Britain. It is a scheme designed to protect people if they feel threatened on a date in a bar or pub. Under the 'Ask for Angela' scheme, women (and men) if they feel threatened on a date can approach a member of staff in a bar and pub and ask for Angela. That is the codeword for the member of staff to take action to help ensure their safety by, for example, calling a taxi, providing a safe place and even contacting the police.

Though I've had many dates and even a few bad dates, I've never had a date in which I felt threatened. And I sincerely hope my date never felt threatened by me. I always ensured my first date was held in a public place like a bar, pub or restaurant. However, I never went out of my way to tell a friend about the details of a date (eg location of date, time due back home, etc) I was about to go on. So I didn't play it totally safe but I saw, rightly or wrongly, the dating risks for me as a man were much less significant than those for a woman.

Comments

  1. It is a great idea and hope it is not needed by either a man or woman on a date..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great idea. Its main problem is that the scheme hasn't been publicised enough.

      Delete
  2. Some of the bars here have a special drink you can order. I like having a name instead.

    While I’ve never felt as though I was in a position that I could not leave, I’ve definitely been uncomfortable on dates

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whether a special drink or a name, such schemes need to be publicised and bar staff well trained.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I AM YET ANOTHER AFF EXILE HERE

DEAR JON

IS ADULT FRIENDFINDER IN ITS DEATH THROES?