ORIGINAL VERSUS COVER: PART ONE, HOTEL CALIFORNIA

Eagles:


I'm going to do a small series of short posts - I promise it'll be small and I promise there'll be short - comparing an original song with a cover version which the cover is better than the original in my opinion. Obviously this series will be all about opinion. And my opinion is no better (nor worse) than anyone else's opinion.

With the exception of covers played live, especially by tribute acts, a cover is only better than the original version if it is markedly different in my opinion. And it's a brave act that covers an original that was a big hit. For two those reasons alone, I'm discounting Bauhaus' cover of T. Rex's Telegram Sam, The Stranglers' cover of Dionne Warwick's Walk on By, Doctor and the Medics cover of Norman Greenbaum's Spirit in the Sky, Damian Marley's cover of his father's Bob Marley and the Wailers' Exodus and Toploader's cover of Boffalongo's Dancing in the Moonlight.

I'm also excluding songs written by one established artist and given to another artist such as Mott the Hoople's All the Young Dudes written by David Bowie, Patti Smith Group's Because the Night written by Bruce Springsteen and Scissor Sisters' I Don't Feel Like Dancin' mainly written by Elton John.

First up in this original vs cover series is Hotel California. Released in 1977 by the American rock band, Eagles, the single is a brilliant and indeed a classic song ending with the telling line, "You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave".

Because of the Eagles' ongoing dispute with YouTube, I'm unable to upload the original recorded version. Instead I've uploaded a live and a later remastered version of the song. Take your pick, or take both.

Eagles' Hotel California (live version):



Eagles' Hotel California (remastered version):
 

Below is Alabama 3's cover of the Eagles' song, released in 2000 on their brilliant La Peste album. Alabama 3 aren't from Alabama; they're based in south London. There's not three of them; there's many members in the band, the number varies depending when you see or hear them. Their music is very eclectic cutting across blues, rock, country, acid house and even gospel music. Alabama 3 are brilliant live even if a bit chaotic. I thought they'd make it bigger as their Woke Up This Morning song was used as the theme tune to the hit The Sopranos television series.

Alabama 3's Hotel California:


I like Alabama 3's cover of
Hotel California slightly more than the Eagles' version because they downplayed what the Eagles accentuated and they accentuated what the Eagles downplayed. Alabama 3 did the bass and not the guitar, especially the guitar-wank that the Eagles did - a double-neck guitar indeed! In my opinion, Alabama 3 just pip it over the Eagles but I've always been a bass man.

Which version of Hotel California do you like best, Eagles' or Alabama 3's version?
Are there any cover versions of a song that you prefer over the original version?
What makes for a good cover song?

Alabama 3:


Comments

  1. Alabama 3 cover version message: "This video contains content from UMPG Publishing, who has blocked it in your country based on copyright grounds".

    In my ongoing review of old posts, I did one in 2015 repeating a listicle someone had created titled "If You Like Any of These Songs, You Are a Total Asshole". Hotel California was #1 on the list. The narrative: "If you liked the Eagles in the '70s, I can't totally blame you because there were only three radio stations back then and they probably all played "Hotel California" every 30 minutes for a year straight. But if you like them now, it means you are most likely a dumbshit investment banker who keeps the band's touring schedule going by renting out $7,000 suites for their shows so you can snack on shrimp cocktail while watching a bunch of old men with long gray hair noodle on their guitars and take three intermissions to get through an hour and a half set."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems certain video clips cannot be shared across the Atlantic Ocean, though it's interesting that Joy could play the Alabama 3 clip.
      I like your take on the Eagles. I never really got into them.

      Delete
    2. Canada and the States have different laws on videos it seems..

      Delete
    3. So much for the internet connecting peoples across the globe!

      Delete
    4. I could play the clip, too.

      Delete
    5. It seems that only Americans are denied the pleasure of listening to Alabama 3!

      Delete
  2. I am an Eagles fan through and through. The Alabama one was different, but prefer the Classic Eagles Hotel California more. Colin James does a cover of Van Morrison's Into The Mystic I love more than the original..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alabama 3 were brave (and perhaps foolish) doing a cover of 'Hotel California'. But nothing ventured, nothing gained.

      Delete
    2. Not foolish I would say as even though I still prefer the original, you introduced us to a band or cover we have not heard before.

      Delete
    3. Alabama 3 are one of my favourite bands. They are great live, very energetic.

      Delete
    4. I do love bands who are energetic. Great Big Sea is a Canadian band who is energetic as Hell in concert. I do not think I sat down in my seat when I saw them Live here.

      Delete
    5. Alabama 3 always gave me impression when I saw thew live, which I did many times, that they were drunk before they started their set!

      Delete
    6. Into the mystic is one of my favorite songs, thanks for the recommendation Joy! I'll be looking it up and listening to it when I finish writing this sentence!

      Delete
    7. Ooooooo smooth tenor, noice. He has a wonderful tone to his voice.

      Delete
    8. I love Colin James and went to listen to him last November.He does Into The Mystic even better live Deb. Glad you enjoyed his version also.

      Delete
  3. I like the classic Hotel California better. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, I can't listen to it.

    I'm a BIG fan of Disturbed's version of Sound of Silence, far over Simon and Garfunkel. The music hits differently with his voice and their arrangement. Especially the Conan live version of it that I put up on my aff blog way back when.

    I think covers are better when they're different, or approached different. I am not a Brittany Spears fan, she has some bops, but I'm not like rabid about every song. Then I heard her song "Toxic" covered by someone else, arranged differently and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a coincidence because 'The Sounds of Silence' is the next song I'm going to do, but not the Disturbed's cover version. I'm going to give it a listen now.

      Delete
    2. Debbi, there's a Minneapolis group that does jazzy versions of rock songs and they did Toxic. You might enjoy it. Just search for New Standards Toxic.

      Delete
    3. Just listened to it smarty and LOVE it so much more than Brittney Spears..

      Delete
  5. Better: The Sundays version of Wild Horses
    Not better: Clapton's version of I Shot the Sheriff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm yet undecided about Eric Clapton's cover of Bob Marley's 'I Shot the Sheriff', they're quite different.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I AM YET ANOTHER AFF EXILE HERE

DEAR JON

IS ADULT FRIENDFINDER IN ITS DEATH THROES?