ORIGINAL VERSUS COVER: PART TWO, THE SOUND OF SILENCE

Simon & Garfunkel:

Following my blog post, https://bowandarrowman.blogspot.com/2024/05/original-versus-cover-part-one-hotel.html, comparing the Eagles' and Alabama 3's versions of Hotel California, here is my next post in the series in which I'll argue that the cover is better than the original version of the song (at least in my opinion).

Second up in this original vs cover series is The Sound of Silence. Originally titled The Sounds of Silence and released initially in 1964 as an acoustic song to little fanfare, an electric remixed version of Simon & Garfunkel's song was released a year later in 1965. The song then soon became a big hit in many countries.

Simon & Garfunkel's The Sound of Silence - don't you just love the recording crackle?!:

Now I like Simon & Garfunkel's The Sound of Silence song even if they are a bit folky for me. But nearly forty years later I came across a cover version of the song which I loved and which I think is far better than the original version. The cover version was done by Stéphane Pompougnac, a French club DJ. Under the alias of Hôtel Costes, he released a lot of chillout dance music albums in the 2000s. His first job was as a waiter at the Hôtel Costes in Paris. Have you ever met a French person who hasn't been a waiter/waitress?

Stéphane Pompougnac's The Sound of Silence:

I like 
Stéphane Pompougnac's cover more than Simon & Garfunkel's original version because his remix jazzes up the song so it's less of a dirge. Much hip hop music, and especially dance music (such as Hôtel Costes), can be regarded as cover music since those artists regularly sample and remix tunes originally written and performed by other artists.

In my last blog post about original versus cover versions, Debbi mentioned that she liked Disturbed's cover of The Sound of Silence more than Simon & Garfunkel's original version of the song while not knowing that the song was next on my list. Until her intervention, I've not come across Disturbed's music before. But to be inclusive, below is Disturbed's cover of the song.

Disturbed's The Sound of Silence:

Now I much prefer the voice of Disturbed than Art Garfunkel's slightly whiny voice in the original version of the song. But I'm still going with Stéphane Pompougnac's The Sound of Silence as the best version of this classic song - it's the bass again. Simon & Garfunkel's songs have been covered lots, which is testimony in itself of their musical influence.

Which version of The Sound of Silence do you like best, Simon & Garfunkel's, Stéphane Pompougnac's or Disturbed's?

PS. I hope the video clips can be played in America. If not, Europe apologises!

Stéphane Pompougnac:

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. I thought you may stick with Disturbed. But as an aside did you think Stéphane Pompougnac's cover was better than Simon & Garfunkel's original?

      Delete
    2. I agree Stephane’s is better than. Simon and Garfunkel

      Delete
  2. I love Disturbeds version but am liking the other one you introduced here.Both are better than Simon and Garfunkel's..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far Simon & Garfunkel's original version isn't popular here.

      Delete
    2. I like Simon & Garfunkel yet was not a fan of "Sound Of Silence."

      Delete
    3. I don't think I ever bought a record of Simon & Garfunkel's, not even their best-selling 'Bridge over Troubled Water' album.

      Delete
    4. My oldest sister had one of their albums and would play it constantly...lol

      Delete
    5. It wouldn't surprise me if your sister had their 'Bridge over Troubled Water' album as that was a massive hit at the time.

      Delete
    6. Would not surprise me either. She was about 14 when it came out. I was 7.

      Delete
  3. What can I say, I guess I'm a traditionalist. The original would still be my choice. I don't feel Art Garfunkel is whiny, I even bought one of his solo albums haha! (the one with I Only Have Eyes for You).
    That said, the Disturbed version is very good.

    Sorry but I didn't care for the French version. It doesn't have the purity of the original or the rawness of Disturbed, it's just kinda...meh for me. And the goofy background sound effects especially didn't do it for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reminding me that I spelt whiny wrong - now corrected!

      Delete
  4. Disturbed's cover, for sure. I got goose bumps when I first heard it. Not a fan of the remix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Disturbed's cover is very good and is certainly moving.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I AM YET ANOTHER AFF EXILE HERE

DEAR JON

IS ADULT FRIENDFINDER IN ITS DEATH THROES?