A GOOD SENSE OF HUMOUR

Almost everyone, or at least everyone I've known, have always said they have a good sense of humour. Humour is very much rooted in one's culture and where one lives. Often humour doesn't travel well. Quite often my attempts at humour fall on deaf ears or even cause slight offence. This is particularly true when blogging where bloggers come from many different countries and the written word unlike the spoken word is a bit more restrictive in conveying humour. Emojis and exclamation marks rarely make up for the lack of body gestures or facial expressions.

How would you describe your sense of humour?
And what sort of humour do you find funny? What makes you laugh?

My sense of humour is quite dry and often self-deprecating; that seems to be a British trait. I also like a good pun, another British trait. I often use irony when speaking and satire when writing as humour. I never use sarcasm; that's something I leave sulky teenagers to do!

I also like farce and slapstick as humour. I particularly love going to pantomimes during the festive season. Families often go so the entertainment is child-friendly but there's always plenty of innuendo to keep the adults entertained.

Increasingly as I get older, I enjoy Schadenfreude, a German word meaning to take pleasure from someone else's misfortunes. Boris Johnson's, Donald Trump's and Vladimir Putin's misfortunes spring to mind here.

One of my favourite comedians is Ricky Gervais - his sitcom, The Office, is hilarious. I believe the American version starring Steve Carell is also good but I've not watched any of the episodes. I also like the Fawlty Towers (though a little dated now), Frasier and Not Going Out sitcom series.

I've never gotten into Benny Hill or Monty Python.

Comments

  1. Funny thing is, not everyone does (have a GSOH).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my observation too but I'm yet to meet someone who admits to a bad sense of humour (BSOH).

      Delete
  2. I used to love both Benny Hill and Monty Python myself, but adore all types of humour as a rule. Puns and satire for me as they tickle my Funny Bone..lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarcasm, irony and self deprecation are my bread and butter.

    Physical comedy, satire, sarcasm, and self deprecation all make me laugh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Satire is a brilliant form of humour. I regular read 'Private Eye' which is a satirical magazine making fun of the rich and powerful in this country.

      Delete
  4. Dude, you only use one emoji on AFF. I understand your reasoning, but perhaps you can branch out a bit?

    When I'm at a theater and watching a movie in English and others are reading the subtitles, they don't quite get the punchline, so I'm one of the few laughing at certain scenes. Some things get lost in translation, but I digress.

    Satire, sarcasm, old-fashioned comedy shows all make me laugh. Oh, and Jon Stewart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use three emojis on AFF but a smiley emoji the most. That's my 'we're friends' ending. It's war if I don't end on that though if a blogger reports a death I won't end on a smiley!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I AM YET ANOTHER AFF EXILE HERE

DEAR JON

IS ADULT FRIENDFINDER IN ITS DEATH THROES?