FROM BANGKOK TO PHUKET AND BACK TO BANGKOK WITH A BIT OF MORAL HAZARD THROWN IN

My stepson only has one day to go before he flies back home from Thailand after nearly three weeks away.

Since my last update here, he had a big row with his friends in Bangkok after the third day of their holiday. It seemed they wanted to spend loads of money getting drunk and going off with prostitutes. My stepson, concerned that the prostitutes looked very young, was concerned that his limited budget wouldn't last the holiday. Though he though about curtailing his holiday and flying back home, he decided to make his own way without his friends from Bangkok to Phuket.

On balance, I (but not my wife) thought he would get in less trouble being a beach bum without his friends in Phuket than with his friends in Bangkok full of temptation. My calculation was based on a balance of probabilities though.

In Phuket my stepson befriended a few fellow tourists, sampled Thai food and even visited a Buddhist temple. He said he was having a good time.

Two weeks into his holiday, my stepson phoned his mother asking for money. My wife said before he flew off to Thailand that he didn't have much money. I was of the view that if he didn't have enough to last three weeks in Thailand then he should never have gone in the first place. But my stepson plays the so-called moral hazard game that banks played before many banks crashed in the global financial crisis over ten years ago.


Now I know I'm going off on a tangent here but please bear with me. Hopefully it will make sense. In the run-up to the global financial crisis of 2007/2008, banks believed that governments would bail them out if they went bust because the moral consequences for governments of not bailing them out were politically too high to incur. The banks calculated rightly; governments bailed the banks out by taking control of some of them, by underwriting  their bad debt and/or by buying their financial assets (known as quantitative easing). This is called moral hazard by economists. This is what my stepson does though he's not aware of what he's doing. He puts himself in positions where he knows that he will be bailed out by his family.

I've bailed my stepson out once before. He had racked up a big debt to a drug dealer and, after being beaten up badly, his mother asked me and his brother to pay off his debt. We did. I didn't get one word of thanks from him for this. Similarly when my stepson wanted to move out of my apartment and live in an unfurnished rented house with his then girlfriend, I paid for the house to get furnished with furniture and stuff for the kitchen. I probably gave him nearly £2,000 in this venture. No thanks again. But not only that, he trashed the house after his girlfriend had split from him. And when I say trash, I mean set fire to furniture. Not one bit of stuff, not even an inflammable teaspoon, came back when he returned to my apartment. I wasn't particularly upset about the money I had wasted but I was upset about an oak desk. My Dad gave me the oak desk and when I 'gave' it my stepson for his new home - he was a student at the time, I told him I wanted it back. The desk never came back. It was trashed!

Now getting back to the subject, when my stepson asked for money from my wife I was concerned. Though my wife and I have separate bank accounts, our finances are effectively shared. I wouldn't have been happy for my wife to have bailed out my stepson because I knew that money would eventually have come from my bank account. She bails him out and then she asks me for money to buy groceries, etc.

Thankfully my wife refused to bail my stepson out in Thailand. I presume he got bailed out by his Dad again - he was the one who forked out the money to sort out his mess over the plane tickets.

In another phone call to his mother, my stepson claimed his bank card was cloned and that sums of money had disappeared from his bank account, which may partly explain why he had run out of money while in Thailand. He said that a bar he had frequented had used his bank card details to take money out of his bank account. I have no way of knowing whether that's the truth or not.

After a few days in Phuket, his two friends from Bangkok joined him. But he had a row with them again. This time I can see the problem he was having with them.. One of his drunken friends was caught on CCTV, now doing the rounds on Instagram, grabbing a woman's bum while walking on the streets of Phuket. I suspect after paying for prostitutes, he felt entitled.

My stepson was appalled - good on him - and decided to split from them again. He lew back to Bangkok on his own. He only has one day to go, surely he can't snatch defeat from the jaws of victory!

I think on balance (of probabilities) he's done quite well on holiday, notwithstanding his initial problem of booking his flights to Thailand. I'm not going as far as to say that I'm proud of him but there are signs that he's at last growing up. He is 30 years of age. Now I know I'm hard on him, but I was soft on him a while back. It's that moral hazard thing!

Now this is a long post! Sorry.


Comments

  1. Sorry if I am coming across judgmental and rude but your 30 year old stepson, makes me feel so very blessed with my own 30 year old son and his 28 year old brother. I do hope he gets home safely and fingers crossed he matures soon..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My stepson is a nightmare, certainly every mother's and father's nightmare!

      Delete
    2. Being hard on our children whether step children or not, is what any good parent who loves them and wants them to grow up with respect for themselves and others, in order for them to succeed in life.

      Delete
    3. I've lost all influence on my stepson as he thinks he knows it all.

      Delete
    4. Sounds like his Mother is way too soft on him.Spoiling our children and bailing them out every time, teaches them absolutely nothing. Part of why he has not grown up yet and is taking advantage. Tough love is key in my own opinion and experience, but that is just me and not everyone else.. I was harder on my three children than my ex husband was, yet would support my parenting in front of the kids. Basically though he would spoil more our first born which was our daughter and leave it up to Mom to discipline our two boys..lol. I think it is partly still why I have a stronger relationship with my boys, than I do their older sister.

      Delete
    5. His mother is probably the only person he listens to. I think part of the problem is that he's the youngest so his parents and siblings have helped him out a lot. But I'm only guessing.

      Delete
    6. I am the youngest myself and learned a lot from my four older siblings. They bailed me out of quite a few situations growing up as kids, just never monetarily..lol.The motto, "You Make Your Bed, You Lay In It" comes to mind often with my older siblings and both parents. We were a different generation though along with our parents, then our own children..

      Nice that he listens to his Mom and he probably does to you too..

      Delete
    7. He used to listen to me but not so much nowadays. He's trying to cultivate a relationship with his Dad, not that I've ever interfered with that relationship. But that the main reason he's moved out to live with his Dad.

      Delete
    8. With age, comes wisdom as we all know.He will get there..

      Delete
    9. I hope so not just for his sake but for everyone's sake.

      Delete
    10. Being a step parent is such a tough path as you are caught in the middle of it all. I sincerely hope his Dad's agenda on raising him when together, does not differentiate with his Mom's and yours.. I have been there, done that with my ex LTR common-law relationship with his two daughters myself.. We split up because he was cheating on me. Having said that, when his two daughters would stay with us, every other weekend and he catered to their every whim and spoiled them rotten, we had so many discussions and fights, his cheating at the end along with spoiling his girls when they were with us, made me both sad and relieved in a way..

      Delete
    11. I took the view from early on that I wouldn't parent him and that I would be just befriend him. Looking back I did effectively parent him - took him to football and ice hockey games, took him abroad and gave him lots of advice, often unsolicited. I never exercised any disciplinary powers but he never played up to me.

      Delete
    12. I took the same stance with my step daughters spending every other weekend with them. Both were girly-girls, hated sports and had their Dad wrapped around their little fingers playing him like a fiddle. I was a Mom of one daughter and two boys. My stance with my own three kids of not befriending them, but being their parent and the Adult while growing up, when it came to my ex common-law partner who said he had always wanted boys but had only two daughters was his excuse for spoiling them. Due to that, when his girls were staying in "Our House" every other weekend, I was not prepared to put up with it. I had three kids compared to his two..

      Delete
    13. It's not easy when kids are concerned. Compromises usually have to be made so at least all parties get a bit of what they want.

      Delete
  2. My stepson has just returned from Thailand. He said it was the most amazing experience of his life and made many friends out there. He's a happy bunny. It seems Thailand did him good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is nice to hear and glad he made it home safe and sound..

      Delete
    2. It is a relief though when he was in Thailand, I didn't have to deal with his messes!

      Delete
    3. Fingers crossed that now he is back home, no one has to clean up HIS and the keyword is "His" messes anymore. They are His and His alone and not everyone else's..Especially at his age..

      Delete
    4. I certainly won't be cleaning up his messes but I can't vouch for others!

      Delete
    5. So very sad in a way to hear that others may still clean up "His" messes at the age of 30. Jesus Christ!. What are they fucking new? "Adulting 101", "Parenting 101" along with "Enabling 101" .. Need to read the fucking manuals and grow up themselves. Do not ever clean up his messes at the age he is, as the step-parent.. EVER!!!!!!!! If his Mom who is your wife does, even being a Mom of three Adult children myself ranging 35, 30 and 28, make damn sure, it never comes from Your bank account and only from her own separate one. If after bailing her own son's mess out, if they ever ask you for grocery or rent and hydro money, because they alone cleaned up their own biological child's mess at the age of 30 and still enabling them, say "No" and stick to it..

      Otherwise I myself would run far away from the relationship itself and have.. Those Older Adults like us and others, still cleaning up messes from dependent 30 year old children/step children and up.. They are dependent because of you/ your spouse and your poor Parenting skills.

      Delete
    6. His messes tend to be quite big messes so there's an element of moral hazard experienced hi his immediate family.
      As far as I'm concerned I'm done with clearing up his messes. I wouldn't even trust him to post a letter down the road!

      Delete
    7. I get so passionate about raising kids and come across sounding pious..I am glad though you are done cleaning up after him..

      Delete
    8. I tend to forget, we were all young and stupid at one time...lol. Live and learn eh!

      Delete
    9. I just hope that his Thailand experience will help my stepson find himself. :)

      Delete
  3. While I understand why you’re suspicious of stepsons stories, it would not surprise me if his card got cloned in Thailand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I believe him when he said his bank card was cloned. There's not much he can do about that o0ther than sort it out afterwards which he did.

      Delete
    2. I agree with both you and Deb. as that happens so frequently any and everywhere, both on vacation or in one's home town.. Nice that he looked into it and it got sorted out as it is a nightmare for all of us..

      Delete
    3. My bank and having what is called "fraudulent" coverage insurance on my bank card, when using debit, or on-line purchases anywhere, especially on vacation and in B.C. will send me an Alert immediately offline, when they themselves may suspect foul play and freeze my card on the spot.. To some, it may be a hassle when they do it and you have to go back to your bank to get a new card and pin number, but it is all worth it in the end.. It happened to me once when in B.C. That is when I thanked God for having that "fraudulent" insurance coverage and also having a branch of my bank within walking distance, thousands of miles away in another province..

      Delete
    4. I have that coverage too with my bank account. But the only time they've stopped transactions is when I'm purchasing things!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I AM YET ANOTHER AFF EXILE HERE

DEAR JON

IS ADULT FRIENDFINDER IN ITS DEATH THROES?