ORIGINAL VERSUS COVER: PART FIVE, KNOCK ON WOOD

Eddie Floyd:


Here is my fifth post in the series in which I'll argue that the cover is better than the original version of the song. This time I'm going to compare Eddie Floyd's original version and Amii Stewart's cover version of the song, Knock on Wood.

Knock on Wood was a hit song for Eddie Floyd in 1966. The single was released by Stax Records, an American soul music record company.

Eddie Floyd's Knock on Wood:

In 1979 Amii Stewart, an American soul and disco singer, had a massive hit with her cover of Knock on Wood. Her song is widely regarded as one of the classic disco songs of its time, the late 1970s/early 1980s, the heyday of disco.

Amii Stewart's Knock on Wood:

As a diehard disco man, I'm obviously going to like Amii Stewart's disco version more than Eddie Floyd's soul version. I can dance to Amii Stewart's cover version whereas I can only listen and maybe tap my foot to Eddie Floyd's original version.

Many artists have covered the Knock on Wood song. As well as Amii Stewart, Wilson Pickett, Otis Redding and Carla Thomas, Eric Clapton, and Michael Bolton have all covered the song. But perhaps its strangest cover was done by David Bowie in 1974 - though a Bowie fan, it's a dreadful cover.

Which version of Knock on Wood do you like best, Eddie Floyd's or Amii Stewart's?

Below are links to my other blog posts in this 'original versus cover' series:

Amii Stewart:

Comments

  1. Amii Stewarts cover hands down is by far my own favourite out of the two. Much like you other than Classic Rock, I am a disco fan and so loved dancing to her version of it..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have not heard Bowie's version yet. I may not now after your suggestions there....lol. Steve Cropper from The Animals along with Eddie Floyd wrote it.Eddie Floyd sang it..Just found Steve Cropper talking about it. So wish I could have added the video here..

      Delete
    2. Amii Stewart's cover is definitely better than the original. David Bowie's cover is okay but not good by his high standards.

      Delete
    3. I listened to his cover and did not mind it, yet Amii's is still the one I prefer also..

      Delete
    4. It was a strange choice of song for David Bowie to cover.

      Delete
  2. I have to agree with Joy, Amii's hands down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amii Stewart's version is definitely the best. Eddie Floyd's original is a bit too slow for me.

      Delete
  3. I think I only knew of Amii Stewart's version and never knew it was a cover. The original is kinda slow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The original is very slow, almost dirge-ily slow!

      Delete
  4. I prefer the classic Stax R&B sound of the original to the synth-y cover. I agree it's a bit slow and would have been improved a lot by speeding it up a bit. Still, horns > synth every time, in my book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eddie Floyd's original is very slow even by standards when it was released.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I AM YET ANOTHER AFF EXILE HERE

DEAR JON

IS ADULT FRIENDFINDER IN ITS DEATH THROES?