ORIGINAL VERSUS COVER: PART SIX, THE FIRST TIME EVER I SAW YOUR FACE

Peggy Seeger and Ewan MacColl:


Here is my next post in the series in which I'll argue that the cover is better than the original version of the song. This time I'm going to compare Ewan MacColl with Peggy Seeger's original version and Roberta Flack's cover version of the song, The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face.

In 1957 the British folk singer Ewan McColl wrote the The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face song for (and probably about) Peggy Seeger, an American folk singer. They were lovers at the time; they did go onto marry. Peggy Seeger sang the song when they both performed in folk clubs around Britain.

Ewan MacColl with Peggy Seeger's The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face:

Though the song was written by Ewan MacColl and performed live by Ewan MacColl with Peggy Seeger, I believe the song was first recorded by The Kingston Trio, an American folk group, for their 1962 album, New Frontier. I'm uploading both The Kingston Trio's version and Ewan MacColl with Peggy Seeger's (later recorded) version of The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face as I'm a little unsure what constitutes the original version of the song.

The Kingston Trio's The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face:

In 1972 Roberta Flack released a cover version of the song, The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face. It was a major hit in many countries, including America, Britain and Canada. Clint Eastwood also loved Roberta Flack's cover of the song. He used The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face for a love scene in his directorial film debut, Play Misty for Me.

Roberta Flack's The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face:

As well as Roberta Flack, The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face has been covered by Peter, Paul and Mary, Johnny Cash, Gordon Lightfoot and Celine Dion. But Roberta Flack's version of The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face is by far my favourite cover. In fact, it's one of my favourite songs and certainly my favourite love song. Though Roberta Flack has been given her due, I think she's still under-rated as a singer - remember her amazing cover version of Killing Me Softly? As well as her voice, I loved her hair.

Which version of The First Time I Ever Saw Your Face do you like best, Ewan MacColl with Peggy Seeger's, The Kingston Trio's or Roberta Flack's?

Below are links to my other blog posts in this 'original versus cover' series:

Roberta Flack:

Comments

  1. I am so in agreement with you as Roberta Flack's cover is by far my favorite also.Play Misty For Me is a Classic movie and one I enjoyed watching back in the day. Even though I loved Roberta's Killing Me Softly, I enjoyed the Fuji's cover of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fugees' cover of 'Killing Me Softly' is very great. You're becoming a hip hopper! :)

      Delete
    2. If it has more of a reggae feel like the Fugees version I love it..lol..

      Delete
    3. You'll be growing dreadlocks next!

      Delete
    4. Lmao.. Trying to picture that has me chuckling here..

      Delete
  2. I have to agree with you and Joy, Roberta Flack does it best imo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roberta Flack did some great songs, she probably still does as I think she's still alive.

      Delete
  3. I had never heard Peggy Seeger's version. Her vocals are...um....interesting and idiosyncratic. Fun for a novelty listening, but in the long run I'd rather listen to Roberta.

    Big kudos to Ewan MacColl for writing a beautiful love song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roberta Flack's version is beautiful. I think Ewan MacColl is a better songwriter than singer.

      Delete
  4. In an astonishing coincidence, after commenting on this post I went to the gym this afternoon, and one of the podcasts I cued up ended up being an interview with Peggy Seeger about her relationship with Ewan MacColl and of course, a chunk of the interview was about this song. It was a fascinating interview, I recommend it!
    https://thisislovepodcast.com/episode-91-you-cant-promise-to-love-forever

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a coincidence. I'll check out the podcast. Thanks for the link.
      I believe wan MacColl and Peggy Seeger's relationship was an intense one.

      Delete
  5. Roberta Flack, hands down. She has such a great voice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I AM YET ANOTHER AFF EXILE HERE

DEAR JON

IS ADULT FRIENDFINDER IN ITS DEATH THROES?