ORIGINAL VERSUS COVER: PART SEVEN, JEALOUS GUY

John Lennon:


Here is my next post in the series in which I'll argue that the cover is better than the original version of the song. This time I'm going to compare John Lennon's original version and Roxy Music's cover version of the song, Jealous Guy.

Jealous Guy was written by John Lennon; the song was not initially released as a single but appeared on his Imagine album released in 1971. John Lennon said that the song was about his possessiveness of his wife, Yoko Ono, but a few music critics have suggested the song was also about his jealousy of Paul McCartney who was idolised more than John Lennon during The Beatles' years.

John Lennon and The Plastic Ono Band's Jealous Guy (not John Lennon's original version):

Following John Lennon's murder outside his New York home on 8 December 1980, Roxy Music added a cover of his Jealous Guy song to their set while touring Germany. The band later recorded the song and released it as a single in February 1981. The single became a big hit in many countries. In the wake of Roxy Music's success with the song, John Lennon's original version of Jealous Guy was released as a single in 1985, five years after his death, though it never quite hit the charts like Roxy Music's cover of the song did.

Roxy Music's Jealous Guy:

I much prefer Roxy Music's cover version of John Lennon's Jealous Guy. Maybe it's because I was a Stones and not a Beatles man, maybe it's because Roxy Music's album covers often featured scantily-clad women and maybe it's because Roxy Music was the first band I ever saw live - my boarding school organised a coach to take pupils to the gig; my guess is that one of my teachers loved the band. Roxy Music were a great band. Their singer Bryan Ferry was and probably still is just one cool dude, but not quite as cool as Echo & the Bunnymen's Ian McCulloch. I'm not a jealous guy!

Which version of Jealous Guy do you like best, John Lennon's or Roxy Music's?

Below are links to my other blog posts in this 'original versus cover' series:

Roxy Music:

Comments

  1. I have to agree with you as I prefer Roxy Musics cover over John Lennon's original.Love Bryan Ferry along with Echo And The Bunnymen.You have great taste in music..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both Roxy Music and Echo & the Bunnymen are two of my favourite bands.

      Delete
  2. Sorry, have to disagree. I love John Lennon's voice, always have. There's something in the quality of his tone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't quite know why but John Lennon never quite did it for me , though I readily acknowledge he wrote some great songs.

      Delete
  3. The only difference I can tell between the original and cover is that there are more instruments in the cover. Neither really appeal to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Roxy Music, but I think I like Lennon's version better than Ferry's quavery vocals. However I prefer Donny Hathaway's soulful version of Jealous Guy over both of these. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfY4NLxl72g

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not heard Donny Hathaway's version. I'll check it out. Thanks for the link.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I AM YET ANOTHER AFF EXILE HERE

DEAR JON

IS ADULT FRIENDFINDER IN ITS DEATH THROES?