ORIGINAL VERSUS COVER: PART EIGHT, FEVER

Little Willie John:


Here is my next post in the series in which I'll argue that the cover is better than the original version of the song. This time I'm going to compare Little Willie John's original version and The Cramps' cover version of the song, Fever.

Written by Eddie Cooley and Otis Blackwell, Fever was first recorded by Little Willie John, an American R 'n' B singer, for his debut album in 1956. When the song was released as a single, it became a hit in America.

Little Willie John's Fever:

There's a stellar cast of musical artists who have covered the Fever song. Elvis Presley, Helen Shapiro, James Brown, Rita Coolidge, Suzi Quatro, Boney M., Sylvester, Christina Aguilera, Madonna, Michael Bublé, Beyoncé and Dua Lipa have all covered the song, and many of them had hits with their cover versions of the song. But Peggy Lee's 1958 rendition is often held up to be the song's signature cover. So out of fairness, I'm uploading her cover version (sorry Elvis!) so people can compare - the lyrics were changed for Peggy Lee's cover as for many subsequent covers of the original version of the song.

Peggy Lee's Fever:

The Cramps were an American punk psychobilly rock band that were active from the mid-1970s to the late-2000s. Husband and wife, Lux Interior and Poison Ivy, were the mainstays of the band.

The Cramps' Fever:

Now Peggy Lee's cover of the Fever song is very good and much better than Little Willie John's original recorded version. But The Cramps' cover is even better than Peggy Lee's. It's the haunted and even menacing feel of The Cramps' version that makes it the best rendition of the song, in my opinion.

Which version of Fever do you like best, Little Willie John's, Peggy Lee's or The Cramps'?

Given the Fever song was written in the mid-1950s and has been played and covered up to the mid-2020s, lasting 70 years as a popular song is quite an achievement. Take a bow, Eddie Cooley, Otis Blackwell and even Little Willie John.

Below are links to my other blog posts in this 'original versus cover' series:

The Cramps:


Comments

  1. My favourite is Peggy Lee's cover of it yet did like the Cramps version..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect Peggy Lee's cover is almost everyone's favourite.

      Delete
  2. Little Willie John's version isn't available in my country. I hadn't heard the Cramps version - that's pretty cool. I still have to go with Peggy Lee, her version is the ultimate in cool. And she was born and raised in my home state, North Dakota!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little Willie John's original isn't as good as Peggy Lee's or The Cramps' cover versions.

      Delete
    2. Its really odd how certain clips, and we're talking YouTube clips here, can or cannot be heard either side of the Atlantic ocean.

      Delete
  3. I like Peggy Lee's cover the better. The tempo and her voice are more to my liking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peggy Lee for the win. I do like the Cramps version, but the Peggy Lee one is really doing it for me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I AM YET ANOTHER AFF EXILE HERE

DEAR JON

IS ADULT FRIENDFINDER IN ITS DEATH THROES?